Almost Achieving… Something
At the end of Lord of Chaos, Demandred says:
"Have I not done well, Great Lord?"Not being omniscient, we don’t know if Demandred has done well or not. (Note from the Lord of Chaos Prologue that the Dark One isn’t omniscient either, a fact I bet Demandred gambles on occasionally. He says he's a gambler.) Obviously the Dark One and Demandred are both chuffed at the chaos that has been sown during the book.
The Great Lord's laughter filled Demandred's head.
The list of events in Lord of Chaos and the people most responsible for them are:
- Taim arrives, submits to the Dragon Reborn, recruits Asha’man and eventually subverts many – responsible: Rand, Taim and possibly a Forsaken ordering him
- Tairen nobles rebel against Rand, and go to Haddon Mirk – responsible: Whitecloaks
- Cairhien nobles rebel against Rand – responsible: Whitecloaks?, Fain?
- Alanna bonds Rand and Verin frightens Alanna away from joining Elaida so Elaida has no string to Rand. She uses the natural alliance of Greens and Blues, aided by the other stronger Green rebels that take over the rebel embassy. – responsible: Alanna, Verin
- Tarna arrives in Salidar – responsible: Elaida, Mesaana?
- Borderlanders fight among themselves – responsible: unknown
- Masema increases his numbers – responsible: Masema, possibly a Forsaken manipulating him
- Seanchan take Tanchico – responsible: Ishamael/Suroth, Semirhage
- Fighting in Shara – responsible: Graendal
- Halima arrives in Salidar - responsible: Aran’gar, Shaidar Haran, Moridin?
- Egwene is raised Amyrlin, uses Mat’s army to move rebels and sends Nynaeve and Elayne to get Bowl – responsible: Siuan and Leane, Egwene, Rand
- Elaida’s embassy meet Rand with plans to capture him – responsible: Elaida, Alviarin and Galina, Mesaana, possibly Demandred too
- Shaido attack Tower embassy to get Rand – responsible: Sammael, Sevanna
- Rand saved at Dumai’s Wells – responsible: Perrin, rebel embassy, Taim and possibly a Forsaken ordering him
Some characters think they are doing right by their side, but actually they are aiding some other side. Chaos works both ways. The Dark One might not have considered this...
There’s little in the above list that Demandred did directly. Perhaps what he did was to let Rand and co muck everything up all by themselves. After all, the Dark One told Demandred to let certain people live. Since the Whitecloaks and Masema appear to be increasing chaos, it may be that Demandred was more directly involved there. As a general and soldier he would be attracted to Whitecloaks. If he's not manipulating the Whitecloaks or Masema, then Demandred is one of those evil sods who do nothing but falsely claim to the boss everyone's achievements as their own.